Thursday, March 27, 2008

Constitutionalism

There's been an odd turn of events in California as of late; apparently California is considering coming out of the Communist closet! I say this for two reasons:

California has decided that, unless the appeal is overturned, parents can not home school their children unless they are certified teachers. The main crux of the argument? That California parents do not have the constitutional right to homeschooling.

"However, California courts have held that under provisions in the Education Code, parents do not have a constitutional right to home school their children."

Grace v. Superior Court of California

Gah.

And the second reason is the bill before the state legislature (SB 1322) which, if passed, would allow teachers to indoctrinate students in Communism. I'm not joking. Read the excerpt:

"(3) Existing law prohibits a teacher from giving instruction and prohibits a school district from sponsoring any activity that reflects adversely upon a person because of his or her race, sex,color, creed, handicap, national origin, or ancestry. This bill would delete provisions that prohibit a teacher giving instruction in a school or on property belonging to an agency included in the public school system from teaching communism with the intent to indoctrinate or to inculcate in the mind of any pupil a preference for communism. The bill would also delete provisions that a teacher may be dismissed from employment if he or she teaches communism in that way." (Emphasis mine)

SB 1322

Oh. My. God.

Have they lost their fricken minds??? I think someone needs to go back to school and learn a think or two about both the constitution and about communism. I'm gonna make my point about the homeschooling and then let you all check out the actual articles if you are of a mind to.

A constitution is to tell the State (or nation, using the modern vernacular) what it can and can't do. America was founded on the Natural Right Theory, which says that we as individuals were endowed with certain rights (inalienable, even). We have them, they are ours. The only way that government can gain it's right is to have the body of citizens give the gov THEIR right to use. So, if I have the right to defend myself, I can give the state the right to defend me. Using this idea, then, I can give to the State of California the right to educate my children (because it is a right I have). However, I also have the right to take back any right I give to the state! Meaning, that if I gave California the right to educate my children, I can take away their right to educate my children. I don't NEED a constitutional right to home school, it is a basic right. The state cannot take that right from me, and therefore cannot rule that I have no "constitutional" right to home school my children. My right doesn't come from them, and they can't take the right away from me.

Alrighty then. I feel better for getting that off my chest:)